17 January 2013

Module Review 2

Let's continue with AY11/12 Year 1 Sem 2

LAJ1201 - JAPANESE 1

This was easy peasy! I kind of cheated in this module. I already knew a little of Japanese when I took this. Actually I was at intermediate level.. xP Thank goodness it paid off, because this is my very first A in NUS. Probably my last as well..

My advice for this is memorise all the conversations in the textbook. However, I heard that they changed the style for the exams and the oral components, so memorising wouldn't work anymore. If that is truly the case, then do what I said for Korean 1 in my previous post. Memorising the vocabulary and grammar styles would a lot as well.

It's basically an introduction module, very easy to score, especially since you can pick up a lot of grammar just by watching and listening closely to anime and Japanese dramas and movies.

The cons about this module is that it takes up A LOT of time with 7 hours of class time per week. Homework is quite heavy as well. I would suggest anybody who wishes to take a language module, especially Japanese language, to take it during your first year or your graduating year. These 2 years are probably the slackest (in comparison with other years, not saying that these years are 'slack' by definition..), so you might have more time to spend on language modules.

LAK2201 - KOREAN 2

I am going to compare this to LAK1201 - KOREAN 1, since I already reviewed that one, making it easier for me. xP

Well, compared to Korean 1, Korean 2 has a faster pace. More grammars and vocabulary are taught. More assignments. Oral is a little more difficult. Final paper is even more of a race against time. But otherwise, it's exactly the same. Other than the fact that we had more videos, singing and fun during lectures and tutorials. This is a very enjoyable module, so enjoy it!

LSM1101 - BIOCHEMISTRY OF BIOMOLECULES

This is the Chemistry part of Biology. And as I have said in previous posts, I really hate Chemistry. Memorising is the key. And practice. I should have taken an Arts major, don't you think?

LSM1102 - MOLECULAR GENETICS

Ohhohoh. This is a heavy content module. Not that you had to memorise everything to do well. It's just that the contents are pretty confusing. Anything to do with genetics always take awhile to register anyway. The lab reports are pretty straightforward. My partner was a very hardworking genius. It's thanks to him that I got a pretty good grade for our lab reports. I didn't bother with the readings, though. So I guess if you're looking for an A for this module, you might want to read up on those? I got a B+, since I didn't read them. I can't vouch that you will get an A if you did read them, okay?

LSM1202 - HUMAN ANATOMY

All I can say for this module is... MEMORISE EVERYTHING ON THE LECTURE NOTES. I mean seriously memorise EVERYTHING. All the questions tested on the things found in the notes. I didn't manage to memorise everything, hence the very bad grade. Take my advice, take the time and effort to really memorise every little detail. Those who managed to do that got a really good grade. Memorise at the end of the lecture, and test yourself every week or something. Don't leave it to the day before the exam, because that did not help me.. *bitter laugh*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you disgusting piece of shit. this is probably the first review i've read that says that a JAPANESE LANGUAGE MODULE IN NUS is easy. and even if you do have prior knowledge, taking an intro. mod when you're at intermediate level is way too much. have you graduated? if you haven't, perhaps it's not too late to forward your blog post to CLS and hope that some remedial action might be taken? if you have, maybe you can show your employer this blog post along with your CV.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to people like you who play unfair that others don't get a true reflection of their abilities in japanese language. For an A? Hopefully you don't get far.

Gigi said...

Cheater! Because of you my Japanese got B.

Anonymous said...

wow that sucks altho its an open secret that many ppl taking LAJ1201 have prior knowledge of the language.. still gross tho